That sounds like a game show, right? The first year on Substack comes to an end and with it a few changes
Thank you all for the kind and supportive replies. It means the world to us!
A big Thank You to you and the SFM team for all of the amazing content you all provided over the course of the last year. I know how much effort goes into growing the community, and I personally appreciate everything the team has done to make sure both paid and unpaid subscribers get the most out of the service and community you've built. Skottie's art has brought a tremendous amount of joy into our family's home, and I'm more than happy to support the SFM team in any way!
Loved the first year and all the fabulous content. Thanks for keeping it going and happy to continue supporting the team. And in a completely, but not totally, random subject change, looking forward to C2E2, saying hello, and talking about ALL the things—IHF, Twig, The Me You Love in the Dark, Strange Academy…
Skottie (and team) - just wanted to say thanks to you all for the first year! Getting this kicked off and growing a community is not easy. It was great to get a peak behind Oz's curtain and see how the wizard really worked. Early sketchbooks, stories about stories coming together, musings on whatever topics were front of mind - I feel like we got to peel the onion and know a bit more about the person. Not to mention - the live sketch nights were always entertaining. No where else have I witnessed a real, live proposal on a live show!
Keep up the great work and I look forward to continuing the support in year 2.
Glad to see a post from you Skottie as it's been a minute! Though I always appreciate a great post from Megan or Joel! So I just wanted to start off by thanking you and the team for an incredible year of posts! We as fans greatly appreciate the effort that was put in to write these up, do giveaways, live stream late at night, etc. I know I definitely got my money's worth and I'm very much looking forward to year two!
Having insta subbed to Boss level from the beginning, I mainly just wanted to support my favorite artist and this new avenue for reaching us fans! Getting the extra stuff like the Twig preview and the IHF exclusive were definitely incentives I won't deny that. But knowing my support helps support y'all in supporting us....is just one big support cycle hah!
I hate to hear that it sounds like the tiers more so kept you away from us trying to figure out how to balance both the free and paid sides! I think going free will benefit both the team and fans in getting more Skottie content! I'll say though that I will miss some of the stuff like the exclusives or better chances at say winning a sketch. I definitely don't want to put all your awesome work behind a pay wall as I think it benefits us all allowing everyone to enjoy it! But having a higher chance at acquiring more special items like that for my growing collection was really cool.
In the end I'm glad y'all are doing what's best for the Stupid Fresh Mess team! Regardless of the Substack going free, when my boss level sub runs out I'll be grabbing one of the paid options to keep supporting y'all! I'm hoping this alleviates some of the stress or pressure of the Substack and allows you to get back to making art, streaming and whatever makes you and the team happy!
upgraded mine and happy to be supporting you and your art!!!!! 😝😝😝😝😝
It's been an excellent year and I'm looking forward to what this next year brings!!!
As someone on the free sub tier, I am so grateful for all the cool stuff I get to see and download. I'll always stick around and support when I can, you folks have gone above and beyond with this and it's so appreciated. Keep kicking ass!
I enjoy the emails and updates, my boys in the UK have only just started the 6 week school holidays! Check out our adventure?
Big thank you for all the SFM crew has done this year. Date nights, raffles, free stuff- who doesn’t like free stuff lol but seriously Thank you for being a huge part of our life!! Not just because Skottie is my fav artist but because you were all there when we got engaged!! A moment I’ll never forget and a video I absolutely cherish. My oldest son just text us the video yesterday saying the best moment of 2022 🤩 Can’t wait to see what comes over this next year for everyone involved in SFM! May you have continued success in all you do. Thank you for working so hard for all of us! 💛
Any more YouTube live streams planned?
John and I have already email back and forth. Thanks for reaching out!
This is awesome in my book. I discovered your SFM substack from an article that ran in comicsbeat.com about IHFL returning due to these Substack grants. I poke around a little bit and then paid the annual subscription. I only joined in December 2021, so there was so many previous posts that I went back to read. I'm happy for all the free subscribers being able to go back and read those now. Really cool behind the scenes / how the sausage is made posts that are so enjoyable.
Here's a couple of highlights as a result of you taking that grant and me discovering the SFM team:
* Your post about your dad was powerful. I had lost my dad in Dec. 2020 and the grief continues to show up randomly when I past a restaurant I think he might like. Your post showed the common humanity of Skottie Young and the respect and pain that comes from losing a loved one. Just solid goodness.
* The marriage proposal on the live stream was amazing. What a way for the community to participate and live that joy in the moment (Or in my case, watching it the day after). I loved it and it still makes me happy that I was a witness to that.
* Having Jim Mahfood on many of the livestreams reintroduced me to Jim's work. I ended up spending the past year seeking out and buying much of his back catalogue of comics/graphic novel/sketchbooks from the web and on his website. In one of my orders he included a free sketch of Gordie, which is amazing. Currently reading Jim's Los Angeles Ink Stains which is my cup of tea. And I signed up for Jim's zestworld subscription. None of this would have happened if I didn't subscribe to your SFM.
* I also discovered Khary Randolph on your livesteam to. And I became a paid subscriber to Joanne Starer and his Glass Eye Studios as a result. I've been enjoying their comics. I also ended up seeking out other cartoonists on substack after enjoying Jeff Lemire, BKV/Nico, Saladin Ahmed, and James Tyrion IV substacks. None of this would have happened if you didn't start this newsletter.
* I got to briefly meet you both in person at WonderCon after your panel on anti heroes. It's a small micro-moment of connection and still brings me joy that I got the opportunity to tell you both how much I was enjoying this substack community and all the hard work the SFM put in to making it. I kinda a shy person, so it was great to be able to have this substack as an excuse to say hello. :)
* All the free comics and sketchbooks to download were amazing! The stories behind them were fantastic too. I ended up reading all the comics you wrote too, which I never would have done if I hadn't come here. And I took advantage of your online store too.
* I won a free Skottie Variant Grrl Scouts signed comic. It was nice to be a winner! I feel so lucky.
Now other all subscribers will get the chance to read all the post that were behind the paywall. All the hard work that went into those post get to be appreciated for the first time. That's wonderful.
Thanks for starting this SFM experiment. It made my life during this worldwide pandemic better. What more could I ask for? :)
All the best to you all and your families. <3
No one ever reached out about the Twig preview? Have they shipped already?